wireframes.jpg

LiveIntent Campaign Manager Redesign

The LiveIntent Bid Manager is a platform used by ad operations to traffic, manage and optimize campaigns, as well as by account managers, who monitor campaign performance. 

ROLE

Interaction and Visual Design


The Challenge

The current application has no clear workflow and is extremely disjointed, which is reflected by large error rates in setups and the amount of time it takes users to do feasibly simple tasks. It offers no insights into why a campaign may not be under performing or what adjustments need to be made in order for a campaign to hit its goal. Users have been forced to use several different systems outside of the platform to understand campaign performance.


Research & ideation

I joined the team after the initial research phase had been conducted, which included interviews and shadowing sessions of our internal and external users, to determine key pain points and set the initial direction and strategy for the redesign.

It was clear there was room for improvement, and we made some initial decisions:

  • Experiences would be tailored to different user personas.
    User’s were being forced to do certain tasks that was not part of their normal workflow. We wanted to make sure users could focus on exactly what they needed to do, so they are not wasting their time on things that don’t affect their campaign performance.
     
  • Focus on goal-oriented workflow to streamline campaign setup.
    This would allow us to automate several actions a user would have to manually enter, making them more efficient and leaving less room for error. This also aligned with business requirements to set up new optimization on the backend.
     
  • Levels would be abstracted and redesigned into one workflow that aligns with the users’ mental model.
    The current application was functional, but there was a huge learning curve. We decided we would rethink the workflow entirely in order to guide the user through their tasks.
     
  • Highlight key insights and urge users to take action in order to ensure campaign success.
    We wanted to make sure users had all the information they needed to to monitor their campaign performance, and bring to surface campaigns that needed immediate attention. This would also set a framework for us to get more sophisticated with recommendations in later iterations.
IMG_0057.JPG

PROCESS FLOWS

There were several technical requirements, which were different for each of the user types. We started by reviewing how our system was designed and built out process flows to map out user interactions and where we could optimize the backend too make the system smarter.

Since we wanted to create a tailored experience for each user, the process flows needed to reflect different user type options and system settings. Creating these flows was an iterative process. A lot of the current processes were unknown and extremely technical to the end user, which caused a lot of dependency on other people. I took a lot of time to really understand the technicalities in order to simplify the workflow into something the end user would understand. We consistently met with product and engineering stakeholders to ensure we were designing an experience that would align with our new API and cover all the business requirements.

 

Wireframes

The process flows laid out the content for the screens that needed to be wireframed. We initially started wireframing with whiteboarding sessions and sketches, and built out all of the screens out using Sketch. We used the wireframes to create a prototype to use in the user testing phase.

4.jpg
5.jpg

Testing & Rapid ITERATION

In preparation for user testing, we determined the areas we wanted to review and observe and created a script to ensure each test was standardized so that our data would be comparable. We scheduled sessions with both internal users, which we conducted on site, and with external users, which we conducted through join.me. Between sessions we debriefed on on our findings and made iterations to the prototype where goals were unable to be met. During testing, our management center designs really evolved, as we observed from our users which information was really valuable to them, and helped tell the story of their campaigns performance. By the end, we validated the design and concepts, including our new campaign creation workflow experience, and made sure our designs met all of the user needs.


The solution

Visual Design

Once our wireframes were validated, I applied the brand through visual design. This was the first part of the application going under a redesign, so I set the direction for the visuals. 

Below are the final designs that went into production.